Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Split Pants, Oh My!
























































We spent the morning in our rooms. Our guide actually goes to the Consulate Appointment for us and we just hang out in our room in case they call with questions. About 12:30 she called and said all went perfect and we were free the rest of the day. Jay has been really wanting to go to the zoo so off we went. It only cost us $7.00 total for all 4 of us to get in! It was a beautiful place and had many animals. Avery was in tears that the Panda was not out...it was the one thing she wanted to see! We saw the famous "split pants," these are potty training pants the kids wear here...warning, these are graphic :) Jay and I had a great laugh at this! We headed back for dinner here in the hotel and I've been slowly packing up to head home.

As one of the dads put it, "We're at the end of clean clothes, the end of our money, and the end of our ropes!"


Tomorrow we have our group photo shot, then we're headed to the park nearby to take pics of Ashley in her Chinese clothing we bought. (Tammi, this place is a photographers DREAM!) We have our swearing in at the US Consulate at 3pm and that's when we'll get her visa...and we'll be free to leave the country!!!!

It really is amazing to be here right before Chinese New Year..this is the major holiday in China and the people go WAY OUT for it! Our hotel lobby has been transformed in the last few days with amazing flowers, beautiful lanterns, and red envelopes hanging from the trees. You see these everywhere you go around here. It's the year of the Ox, so there are ox figurines all over. It has been a really neat and beautiful time to be here!
Tomorrow will be our last post from China! I'm going to try to organize my thoughts and make it a good one. We are actually sad to be leaving in so many ways. But we are SOOO ready to see Ally and Annalyse and all our family and friends!

10 comments:

Am+a said...

Enjoy your last day... in spite of the excitement of coming home. What a wonderful adventure you've had.

I am praying for a safe & happy flight, all of your new stuff to fit comfortably in your luggage, and MINIMAL jet lag for everyone when you're back home.

With Love,
Amanda Latona

Unknown said...

Awesome pics. Is Ashley pretending to box with her daddy? That's funny and the split pants are a scream. I'm sure the zoo was a fun place for all of you. And, Em, your posts are always good ones! Still praying for a really good trip home.
Can't wait to see all of you.
Love, Nana

Diane said...

Hey guys! Sounds like this part of the journey is really coming to a close. I remember the bitter-sweet departure from Madeline's homeland. I have not ceased to miss it. God has a way of building a loving compassion for the land that gave you your child. I also remember the flight home, so filled with anticipation to see my kids, family & friend. If I had not had a baby in my lap to deal with, I am sure I would have been seating in a puddle the whole flight. God's grace is good for that too. When the wheels touched down, I choked back tears and asked Madeline(10months) how it felt to be an American. She was speechless! So was I. We were home and very aware of God's grace and mercy. It was a powerful moment. We are praying that your last hours in China will be huge; that your flights will be shortened by your anticipation of seeing your girls;and that God burns into your hearts/minds His faithfulness to those He has called into His service. God is good-ALL the time!

Jill said...

Ashley's personality is really coming out in the pics...love the one where she's 'putting her dukes up' :)

Okay, I couldn't tell what that pic was (the split-pant pic) until I zoomed in on it....OH MY GOODNESS! LOL I have never heard of those. HAHA!

Praying you have a safe trip home!

Norma said...

Enjoyed your blog. Safe journey home and blessings for sweet Ashley.......she looks so happy!!!

Anonymous said...

Those split pants make me laugh! How odd (and unsanitary)! LOL
Poor Avery....goes all the way to China to see panda's and they're not out. :( bummer.

Oh, how I WISH I was there to take pictures in China.
This is me raising my hand to volunteer to accompany anyone traveling to China to adopt. I can be your personal photographer/paparazzi.

Enjoy your last days/day (depending on when you read this) in China! What an experience!

:)

Kim and Dennis said...

I have loved following your blog!
The post keep getting better and better. The split pants are so funny! Aren't you glad our children don't wear them?
Ally won't have to do without Mommy and Daddy for much longer. It must be so hard for you too.
Safe and easy journey for you all!
Praying in GA.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh, the split pants are to funny! The zoo looks like it was a lot of fun.(We have been taking notes)The picture of Jay and Ashley is adorable. We are praying for you guys to have a safe trip home. See ya soon, Ginger and Steve

Pam said...

Hello to you. The countdown is on. Can't wait to see you guys... We'll be praying for safe travel and to get home quickly!! I think the girls would ride up to the airport to get Avery if they could.Love yall.Pam

Allison said...

I'm so used to checking your blog every day for updates, I'll probably go through withdrawal when you get home and aren't able to give daily updates! :) Let me say again how stinkin' excited I am for y'all. I'm looking forward to watching this baby grow up and do cute and hilarious things like your other 3 girls. Let me know if/when y'all come down to O-town. You know I'd love to see you all! Love and Blessings! ~Allison