Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday Morning Update

Good (early) morning to all our blog readers! So many of you have been reading our story and stopped to tell us and ask..."when are we getting an update?"

I have 4 kids now under the age of 6...I'm trying!!

Ashley Mei is really doing well. She's adjusting great and attaching beautifully. Most of the time she still prefers mama, but she's got that "Daddy's HOME!" dance and smile down pat! We've had a challenge mostly at night but she's getting better, PTL! We did some re-arranging so she's in her own room, and this seems to have helped, as well as given mama and daddy their room back..all of us are happier :)

She still has some periods of grieving each day but they are getting less and less. Like in the first of the week it was lasting 20 minutes and now it's only maybe 3. I'm totally expecting this to ebb and flow...she may kick it back up to 20 today or may not have any at all. This is normal and healthy as she learns to trust us and give us her heart...and as far as how long it will last? Could last for months and could be over this week...we just don't know.

Aside from that short time each day she is a joy! She's giggling and kissing and talking! She can say mama, dada, Ashley, Ally, bye bye, and uh oh. She can sign please, more, and all gone. And, she's still saying a few Chinese words here and there. She adores Ally (who doesn't?!) and laughs and laughs when Ally comes into the room. Annalyse is doing well with another sister...Ashley gets jealous easily but for now things are going smooth. We went out to dinner last night for the first time with all 4 and had fun with friends and managed!

The questions have already begun and I'm sure will get more frequent as we get out more. "Is she yours?" (yes) "did you adopt her?" (no, we have a strong recessive Chinese gene that just popped out!) .....you get the idea. I've got to get creative....

7 comments:

Mom Nammy said...

Great post Em! Other possible answers to "Did you adopt her?"
1. No, we took a trip to China and she was just wondering around.
2. No, we went to see the Olympics, conceived a child there, and this is what happened!"
3. No, she's in the witness protection plan.
4. We hired a "hit man kidnapper" from China and this is what he brought us.
5. "I thought something was up at the hospital when I just knew I had delivered a blonde haired baby and this is what they brought me! I argued, but they swore our bracelets matched! She really DOESN'T LOOK like us, does she...NOW I see it...thanks for pointing that out to us...we will follow it up!"
Have a GREAT TIME WITH THIS ONE!

Kristi said...

Sounds like your family is doing fantastic!! As good as I've ever heard on anyone's blog. I can't imagine how tough it is adjusting to life with four young kids - hang in there! I love what you said about the "strong recessive Chinese gene" - hilarious! ...I'll have to remember that one to use later when we have our daughter.

Kim and Dennis said...

Yes, you will be hearing that from this day forward. For us, people look at Lia, then they look at Ricky and ask "Is he adopted?".

kate said...

Love that she is doing so well. Are you doing ok? This is a major life change!
Your response to people asking about if you adopted her is funny! But I would also encourage you to use it as an opportunity to share what a neat door God opened for you to bless your daughter who was born around the world! I often want to ask people I see out about their children b/c I LOVE hearing their story, but it is hard to know how to ask without offending. So if you can let it roll off- like even for the ones that ask if she's yours (b/c most probably don't mean it to be offensive, they are just curious about where you got your precious baby!)- I bet they would be blessed to know what God has done! She's adorable and I am so glad to hear all of your kids are loving her! Take care and hope you all adjust to regular (whatever that means with kids) sleeping habits!

Jill said...

I love your answer to the "did you adopt her?" question. HA! It is so common anymore, to see families with children of different ethnicities...I'm surprised people say anything.

Sounds like baby girl is adjusting well. So happy to hear that!

Love all of the new pics.

((HUGS))

prechrswife said...

LOVE the recessive Chinese gene comment! That is hilarious. And, like Kim, we get asked if our bio daughter is adopted, too. Funny since she looks just like her daddy.

Anonymous said...

you are hilarious! and whichever mom gave you those top five, too funny! it never ceases to amaze me what people will say! i have a good friend whose husband has a little bit of Korean blood in him, if that's how you say it. So her kids, when they were born and even a few years after, have a little bit of that look as well. I think one day her post on her blog started out as "if anyone else asks me if this is my biological child....", which of course, he was! If you don't think or do think, why ask! ha! And when it's obvious, again, why ask! People are just funny sometimes!